I'm Basic, But That's Okay
I wrote last week about how I didn’t believe in guilty pleasures. I would consider this to be Part II of that. I’m basic. I like a lot of basic things.
- I love pumpkin spice lattes.
- I think Kate Middleton is the best dressed women ever.
- I purposely try to look like Zooey Deschanel.
- I use a lot of hastags. On Twitter. On Instagram. In Real Life.
- I like things that are vintage-inspired. But not really vintage.
- I’ve tried all the fad diets.
- I know all the Taylor Swift songs. All of them.
- I only drink fruity cocktails.
- Yoga is awesome. So is Zumba.
- I’m not “religious”, I’m “spiritual”.
- Lauren Conrad has a dream life.
But do you know what? I like these things because they’re good. Maybe the reason all of these things are so popular among white early 20s women is because they are nice and pleasant. Things are popular for a reason. You can complain all you want that those basic girls have no taste, but everything is popular for a reason. I complain about football constantly. But enough people like it that it must be good, right? Think about it the next time you complain about that-popular-thing.
Except for that fad diet one. Don’t do that.