What I Wish I Knew Before Moving in Together
For those of you hanging out outside of the loop, I’ve been living with my significant other for a few months now. I’m not the best at living with roommates…even though I can do it…so this was a giant experiment for me. It makes sense, with me moving to a new city, to combine the finances at least a little, but it’s still been a giant learning curve for both of us.
1. I’m never jealous anymore. I know where he is nearly always, so I never think about where he is or who he’s with…I already know who they are.
2. I know all of the gross things about him. There are no more secrets. Sometimes I wish there were more secrets.
3. Sometimes I have to watch TV shows or movies that I am not interested in. Not at all.
4. We’ve had to make compromises on how we want the apartment to look. I really like the way our apartment looks, but it’s really a mix of both of us. He understands why I buy things strictly for Instagram photos, but he also puts his own opinions and aesthetic into our house too.
5. Your partner is going to eat your food. It’s just going to happen, and you can’t get mad about it.
6. I think the best thing that we do is talk about money. I know how much he makes, he knows how much I make. We’re transparent about spending, and it helps us figure out how to budget things like rent and eating out at restaurants.
There are lots of things I could put on this list, but those are my big ones. I’m really excited to be starting this new adventure with my best friend. So far it’s been a ton of fun, and things like grocery shopping or picking out decorations for our gallery wall. He’s also been an excellent coparent to my dog.
What are the things you wish you knew before?